Monday, December 15, 2008

I carry your heart with me

I carry it in my heart. The e.e. cummings poem says everything perfectly. I am getting better at learning how to drive and talk to you, Otto. How to work and be with you. How to do the dishes, and lay in bed in the morning, and have you so close to me. It is not the same as your soft warm skin, but I can remember it. On some days, on days like this, I feel your peace, I feel so grateful to have met you, to have this seed planted in me that will grow more and more substantial with every day, for the rest of my life. Into a great tree. Even though you were a newborn baby when you died, you will have roots and branches and a big trunk for me. I will always have you as my son, I will always mourn you. Till the end of my days. I will always love you. And learning how to love like this is work, and it is worth it. I look at your picture and my heart aches, and I cannot tell if I want to sing for joy or pain. I cannot tell them apart. It is one big scream that wants to come out. A yell. A note. I am so glad you are with me. I am so glad you are my baby. I miss you but I have you. I am so glad you are here.

1 comment:

Mommy Jules said...

You are such an amazing mother, Jessie. Your description of how you are integrating Otto into all you do is so moving. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever "be myself again" since I became a mother. Your writing about your experience as Otto's mother makes me realize that I am exactly who I am supposed to be.
I think of Otto everyday when I am in the shower...that is where I could cry freely without worrying Connor and Sean when Otto was first born. I know I never met him, but you are always with me and he is a part of you. I love you.